Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Swifty




I find it incredibly ironic that we live in an age that prides itself on being "green" and "environmentally friendly" yet we toss away a significant amout of trash that eventually fills our landfills.  We toss out diapers, and paper towels, and kleenex, and chlorox wipes, and baby wipes, and swiffer pads.  All of these items were not disposible 50 years ago.  Back then people washed and reused these items.  Now in the "green" age, we toss it.  Ironic isn't it?  I've decided to take a stand and stop being wasteful and I'm starting with the swiffer!

I made a "swifty" with the nameless cotton I used to make my star dishcloths.  So now my dishcloths match my swifty, how cute is that?  First I wet Swifty, added some floor cleaner and attached it to the swiffer.  I cleaned my entire kitchen floor in the same amout of time it takes to use a regular store bought disposible swiffer pad however with the Swifty, my floor was cleaner!  It got off all of the stuck on grime that is usually left behind.  I'm quite impressed with my environmentally friendly swifty. 

The pattern can be found in the second Mason-Dixon book Knitting Outside the Lines




1 comment:

Maxine said...

What a great project! Libby, you are so creative. I need on of those. I'd also like to have a cute little assistant like yours to push it around the floors for me too. ;)