Pages

Friday, September 09, 2011

Bleeding Hearts Stole

I've been working on the Bleeding Hearts Stole.  Actually I've not been working on it and then picked it up again from hibernation.  I'm making it out of mohair which poses its own set of problems.  First and formost is that due to the fuzzy nature of the fiber, its a nightmare to rip out.  Secondly, if you happen to lose some stitches its a nightmare to reclaim them. 

Such was the case recently.  Here I am knitting happily along, minding my own business, when I hear a noise.  No it wasn't the kids trying to kill each other or the sound of cars driving by or the birds chirping or any other such pleasant sound.  It was the distinct sound of a screw working on unscrewing itself.  Now you may be asking, how in God's name does she know what sound a screw makes when it is coming undone?  I know because its happened before particularily when I've had hundreds of stitches on the needles and these hundreds of stitches needed to be picked up again.  And due to the fact that I'm working on a lace project with mohair, I would like to avoid this exact situation. 

I carefully inspect my needle joints and I find the culpret with about 20 stitches its about to take down with it.  Dirty bastard. 



Do you see all those stitches bunched up on the needle? That is exactly where my needle is coming loose from the cord.  My task is extract the stitches from the loosened section, tighten it back up again, give it a good talking to and get back to enjoying my evening.  If all goes well, it will happen just like that.  This may sound simple enough but I forgot to mention I have to do all this while the kids are entertaining themselves by climbing all over me.  Do they not know that I'm working with mohair? 


There there, everything is going to be just fine.  I've got a nice glass of wine and the kids havn't spilled it yet.  Life is good.  I started on the task at hand and about a half an hour later the procedure was complete.  No more stitches bunched up where they did not belong and the needles were properly joined.  I did give the needles a good stern lecture which included words like: respect, responsibility and mohair. 


It was getting late and I decided to call it a night.  The kids didn't kill each other, the dog didn't run away, and my stitches are right where they are supposed to be.  I'd say all is well with the world!








No comments: