Pages

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Manhole Covers


"Honey, I got them!"

"Got what?" I ask.

"You know, the manhole covers! Both of them!"

Oh dear God, he actually did it. "That's wonderful dear."  He's been talking about recovering them for weeks now but I didn't actually think he would do it.

"I know exactly where I'm gonna put them!"

Dare I ask? "Where?" I ask, not quite certain I should have.  All sorts of god awful places of display run through my head for these rusted out hunks of junk to come to mind. 

"In the front yard! I'm gonna paint them gold and make gold coins out of them and proudly display them in the front yard!"

"Of course dear, because every self respecting Michigander needs 90 year old gold painted manhole covers on display in the front yard."  Just what I've always dreamed of, manhole covers in the front yard.  Shoot me now.

A little while later my husband comes home with the said manhole covers.  He explains to me that these manhole covers have been recovered from a 90 year old shipwreck located in the St. Clair River.  To think, these covers have not seen the light of day in 90 years and they are going to reside in my front yard as gold coins.  Is that considered an insult to the manhole covers?  I certainly hope not. 

He then tells me that he changed his mind and decided to turn them into a gold sun dial that will be located in the back yard, which, as he explains sounds much cooler than gold coins.  All I heard is that they will be located in the back yard and after that I just didn't care!  

No comments: