Pages

Monday, September 05, 2011

Star Dishcloth


The car was all loaded up, everyone was buckled in and waiting on me.  I needed something and FAST.  So I grabbed the needle case, a plastic bag containing 3 leftover balls of nameless cotton and made mad dash for the car before I was left behind.  I had no idea what I was going to knit but it would be a bonus if it was simple enough to memorize, small enough to be finished in about an hr and one that can make use of the nameless cotton. 

What does one do with 3 nameless balls of cotton with no idea as to how much yardage is present? Then it hit me, a dishcloth!  How much yardage does one really need for a dishcloth?  If I find myself falling short on yarn, I can always cast off.  Its a dishcloth afterall and doesn't need to be any specific length or size for that matter.  A dishcloth is definately what these 3 nameless balls of cotton are destined to become.  But what type of dishcloth?  After all,  I didn't even know I was going to be making a dishcloth before I made the mad dash for the car.  Thank God for smart phones and Ravelry!  I reasearched dishcloth patterns and of course a million patterns popped up.  However there was one in particular that I was drawn to, a star shaped dishcloth.   The pattern met all of my criteria and I'm totally hooked onto the dishcloth craze!  The best part is actually getting to use them.


Star Dishcloth Pattern

Cast on 15 stitches.
This cloth is made up of 6 wedges, all exactly the same. Then the edge is sewn together, the threads are sewn in and the cloth is complete. :)

Every wedge:
Row 1 and all odd rows: K across to last 3 stitches, P3.
Row 2: K3, YO, K to last st, turn.
Row 4: K3, YO, K to last 2 sts, turn.
Row 6: K3, YO, K to last 3 sts, turn.
Row 8: K3, YO, K to last 4 sts, turn.
Row 10: K3, YO, K to last 5 sts, turn.
Row 12: K3, YO, K to last 6 sts, turn.
Row 14: K3, YO, K to last 7 sts, turn.
Row 16: K3, YO, K to last 8 sts, turn.
Row 18: K3, YO, K to last 9 sts, turn.
Row 20: K3, YO, K to last 10 sts, turn.
Row 22: K3, YO, K to last 11 sts, turn.
Row 24: K3, YO, K to last 12 sts, turn.
Row 26: Cast off 12 sts, K to end of row.
Now, look at how EASY that wedge is! You won’t even have to print the pattern out!!! :)

The pattern can also be found here.

No comments: