Pages

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Mom's Gloves

Holy God I finished something. Can you even believe it? I know, its hard for me to fathom as well considering I haven't finished something in quite some time now. I finished the Christmas present for my mom.

A couple of years ago, I made her a neck wrap/ head scarf. It was a moebius strip by Cat Bordhi from her "First Treasury of Magical Knitting" book. I made it out of Elann.com's Pure Alpaca in the natural colorway and my mom just LOVES alpaca. Notice the capitals, I'll say it again, she LOVES alpaca. Anyway, I always wondered if she ever wore it. All knitters do I imagine, wonder if the people they knit for actually make use of the item that was knitted. Turns out, she wears it all the time.

When I asked what she wanted for Christmas this year, she first said that she has everything. And its true, she does. Then in a quiet voice, almost shy like, she asks if I remember that scarf that I made for her a couple of Christmas's ago. Of course I do! I'm on edge here wondering where she is going with this. Then she says, "I really could use some mittens".

"Mittens or gloves?"

"Well gloves would be better if its not too much trouble"

"OK gloves it is"

Then the disbelief sets in, "You know how to do gloves?"

"Yep, I sure do"

"Well that is what I would like, gloves, and if you have that same stuff you made the my scarf from so they match, I would appreciate it."

Naturally I know exactly the "stuff" is she is referring to. In fact I know exactly where its located in the stash. The very instant I was off of the phone with her I dove into the stash and located the desired yarn.



These are finished gloves. I made the fingers a bit smaller than what was called for but she has small hands so I know they will fit her!

4 comments:

Suzann said...

They look beautiful and warm. As I told you I am envious of your super neat thumb gusset.
PS the girls are adorable. Growing up fast too

Unknown said...

Thanks Suzann. The girls sure are growing up way too fast.

junior_goddess said...

They look beautiful And how handy that you had some of that "stuff". "That stuff" will become more mom gifts, won't it?

;-)

smariek said...

Perfect way to make your Mom happy.

Ok, do you realize that if you know exactly where the "stuff" is in your stash, then your stash is probably not large enough? Go buy some more yarn! :-)