Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

For awhile now I have been asking Karolyn what she wanted to be for Halloween. First it was Lightning McQueen then Cinderella then Lightning McQueen again. I was at a loss. So I decided to go with Lightning McQueen.

I started my quest for the Lightning McQueen costume on the internet. Surely someone must have made this before. And sure enough they did. And for $30 it too can be yours. WHAT!?!?!?! 30 bucks for a costume that the kid is gonna wear once for 3 hours? Are they crazy? Have they not heard of the economical situation this country is currently in?

So I dug deeper and found a blog about a guy that made the costume out of a card board box and some paint. I can do that. I'm crafty with an ever expanding imagination. I can do this.

I started saving the supplies. A cardboard box I acquired from work. Some paint that was on sale at Michaels. Pictures of the famous race car. Then I went to work.

I cut up the box and taped it to the shape I wanted. Refered to the pictures and started drawing. Then painted it. I did take pictures of the various steps of transforming an ordinary cardboard box into a racecar but the camera farted and I dont have the pics.

When it was all said and done, this is what I came up with.

I give you LIGHTNING MCQUEEN!



And a side shot.



She loved it. She was so excited when I first showed her the costume that she didn't want to take it off.

I asker her this morning before school if she knew what today was and sure enough she did! Then she told me that we get to go trick-or-treating tonight and get more candy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Libby, that is TOO cute! I love homemade costumes. I think it's way more fun that all the store bought ones.

Anonymous said...

That IS a great costume!!! I made my share of costumes for my kids too, back in the day, and it was so much more enjoyable than getting store stuff.
She looks great, and so happy!

Marta

junior_goddess said...

THAT looks great!!!

smariek said...

You did a great job with that costume!!! The best part is that she won't run into anyone else with the same one.

Isn't it funny how the little ones are so in tune with when Halloween is?