Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2007

For the Love of Wool

It is often said that necessity is the mother of invention. Just look at history. Mr. Whitney invented the cotton gin to make the production of cotton in the South more profitable. Mr. Franklin had poor vision and he got tired of constantly taking his glasses off and putting them back on again, so he decided to figure out a way to make his glasses let him see both near and far. He had two pairs of spectacles cut in half and put half of each lens in a single frame. Today, we call them bifocals. And thank God for Alexandre Godefoy, the inventor of the electric hair dryer. Without which my current project would have been ruined.


My current project, which as been dubbed Knitting-that-shall-not-be-named by JuniorGoddess, has taken a turn for the worse this weekend. First off, let me explain a few things. I have been commissioned to knit a jacket out of some new yarn which has not yet been released by the manufacturer. Toni and Jeanie, you know that stuff I'm talking about, its the scrumptious yellow stuff I have been knitting with the last several weeks. Well the bulk of the knitting is done. The back, the left and right front as well as the sleeves. All Done. Now its time for the blocking. I gather all my pieces, take it to the bathroom for a nice good soak. You know the kind, where you rinse it real well with some water then fill up the sink again and let it marinate. Well a half hour later I go to retrieve my pieces, squeeze the water out and then roll it up in a towel so I don't allow my pieces to grow. I get out my foam blocks for the blocking process and start to pin.

I started with the back and pinned the one end of the bottom, measured the width its SUPPOSED to be and GOODLORDBABYJESUS the damn thing grew 5 inches....ohmygodohmygodohmygod.....ohmygodohmygodohmygod.....Did I mention that I'm getting PAID to knit this? It HAS to be perfect. NOT 5 inches bigger than its supposed to be. Calm down Libby Grant, calm down. I'm almost in tears at this point. I had just spent the last 6 weeks knitting all those pieces right smack dab in the middle of prime Christmas knitting season. I then had an epiphany and thanked the Good Lord Baby Jesus for giving us Mr. Godefoy.

I pinned the back to the dimensions it was supposed to be knowing that the scrumptious yarn mentioned above is half wool. Betting on the fact that wool is well known for its memory characteristics and hoping that the makers of THIS particular wool told the wool itself that it is SUPPOSED to have a memory. I got out the hair dryer, set it to the hottest setting possible and started to dry the pinned out back. Right before my very eyes the damn thing started to shrink!!! Exactly to where I needed it to be. ThankyouGodThankyouGodThankyouGod. My heart stopped racing and my pulse slowed down and I got back to blocking the rest of the pieces. Tomorrow I will sew it all together.

4 comments:

smariek said...

Glad that hair dryer trick worked out. Will have to remember that one. I usually "forget" that things tend to stretch during blocking and am often surprised when things (scarves) grow longer than I originally intended.

sk said...

Libby, you make me laughed so hard. Love your expression.I know it will be just perfect when it is done.

junior_goddess said...

Bravo! I had to laugh at the GOODLORDBABY JESUS!

Anonymous said...

GOODLORDBABY JESUS. All's well that ends well. Mine went in the mail today, after I thought I was going to need my own biblical hairdryer moment! bri