Pages

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Mrs. Zimmerman's Baby Surplice Jacket


I subscribe to Vogue Knitting Magazine and while I usually don't like the majority of the patterns published, I find the articles to be fascinating. The Spring/Summer 2007 issue was particularly special as it had Mrs. Zimmerman's pithy instructions for making a baby surplice jacket. This is of course a variation on a theme of the famous BSJ.

Fairy yarn mommy sent me some really great machine washable yarn in an outstanding colorway and just knew it had to be this jacket.

I casted it on, blindly followed the instructions, then casted off. After it was all said and done, I completely understood where Elizabeth was going with the design. If I haven't said it already, Elizabeth is a genius!



Altogether I used 3 balls of Cascade Yarns Bollicine. This is an incredibly easy and fast knit. I'm already planning on making some adjustments so it will fit a toddler. Hopefully it will be done in time for fall when the weather starts to get a chill in the air and the leaves transform to their artistic display of colors.

5 comments:

benne said...

Libby, your surplice looks great, a cute, useful garment that will see a lot of wear. EZ was a genius, no doubt about it. I'm glad her designs are still being knitted, they just make sense. What colors for K?

Anonymous said...

Libby, It looks great. Sometimes blindly following is the way. I am sure it will be easy to tweak for K. Bri

Joan said...

Just adorable! I'd think they'd be very useful too.

Grace said...

looks wonderful Libby, I love the surplice look!

Jennifer said...

The baby jacket is beautiful. And the color choice makes it even better. Great job!