Pages

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Cuttin' Cotton

As you all know I'm having a baby! So far this pregnancy is completly different from my first one. You would think that because I have been through this before I would not worry as much but the exact opposite is true. I'm worrying about everything! For example, I have only gained 1 pound in 4 months. Is this a bad thing? I am overweight to begin with but still. Then at the 12 week Dr. visit, we were supposed to hear the heartbeat and didn't. So we had the ultrasound and found out that everything was all good. Then again at 16 weeks we didn't hear the heartbeat (granted I was coughing so much it was hard for the Dr. to actually hear anything), which warrented another quickie ultrasound. Again everything is OK. And then there is this whole being sick thing. I have a bad cold and cough which is getting better thanks to OTC meds. And lets not forget the occasional morning all day sickness.

Well I decided to do something about all of this. I decided to knit the baby a blanket. That will bring good luck right? It just has to.

Now not just any baby blanket will do. It has to be a one of a kind original blankie. One that is really soft and cuddly and that no other baby on the planet has.


I found a poem that I like:

Matthew Mark Luke and John
Bless the bed that I lie on
Four angels round my bed
Two of them stand at my head
Two of them stand at my feet
All will watch me while I sleep


I'm using Knit Picks Shine and I really like this cotton. Its machine washable and soft and cuddly as all get out. I'm gonna use the left overs to make a matching hat.

I decided to knit this in the round as I am more proficient at knitting with colors than with purling. Of course this means that when I'm done, steeking will be involved. Now I hear that it is possible to be successful at cuttin' cotton and I'm going on sheer blind trust here cuz I have not actually done this myself.



Suprisingly enough, the knitting went fast. I think it took about a week.

OK Now let the fun begin!!!



I'm securing the stitches with my handy dandy Brother. Of course I double stitched just to be on the safe side. This is cotton and not wool after all.



After both sides of the knitted stitches are double machined stitched in place we must prepare for the cutting. Right about now I'm really second guessing myself and I'm hoping that I'm right. Isn't there a yoga exercise or pose that can prepare you for this kind of stress? And wouldn't you know it, there isnt any chocolate in the house.



Scream with me now. AAAAAWWWWWWW AAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAWWWWWWW



Holy God that was painful yet successful! I have to say I get a rush every time I cut my knitting. Good God that was fun! I'll have to do that again sometime.

8 comments:

LisaW. said...

you are so brave....glad it turned out well. sorry you are still sick (pukey) remember that the pukiness does bode well for a healthy lil fetus! Each pregnancy is different. sometimes you are pukey all the way thru...sometimes not. I tell my moms not to worry about weight gain...especially if they're a lil fluffy to begin with...you WILL put on weight by the third trimester..honest. As long as your baby is growing...no one cares how much weight you (don't) gain right now. Honest. (Feel free to e me privately if you want)

Grace said...

looks gorgeous libby, and so adventurous to take scissors to your knitting, can't wait to see it all finished!!

junior_goddess said...

Elizabeth Zimmerman recommends a drink. Too bad you cant!

jayne said...

Very adventurous indeed. This blankie looks like a delight. What happens now? Do you have to put an edging on? I've neer steeked.

Having a Knit Fitt said...

Can't wait to see the next step! Your fingers must have been flying between moments of growing rust, being a mom and a wife.
Cate

Anonymous said...

WOW, you are clever with yarn and needles! What a lovely baby blanket with wonderful verses! That should help you feel better. All the best, Libby!

Joan said...

I love Knitpick's Shine cotton for all the reasons you said. Your blankie is like a soap opera with cliffhangers...what's NEXT??!

Anonymous said...

Libby, your vision of the blankie came out beautifully. It's very sweet, full of love in every stitch. You've got the design knack, Libs. And courage - I would have fainted with the first snip.