Pages

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Having Some Fun

I have decided that a change of pace is in order. I have been bitten by the design bug and it sure is fun. However there is a downside to it. I can't be posting pics or talking about what I'm wanting to submit to be published on the off chance that the publishers will want it. This is what is really really hard cuz I'm just dying to tell ya'all about it and say "See? Look what I did!"

Well thats all gonna end right here and now. From now on I have decided to have a bunch of fun with my knitting and let you all in on a piece of the action as well. I'm gonna start posting about the process and then have a free pattern section on the side bar!

Remember that hat that my sister asked me to make for her? Well this is what I came up with and she loves it!

I was inspired by Elsebeth Lavold in her Viking Knitting book. There are some gorgeous cables in there. Tons of eye candy! Anyway I'm getting off track. I had some Highland Wool lying around in just the right amount and decided that is what I was going to use. Now I didn't swatch (you would think that I would have learned my lesson by now) but I have used this stuff often enough to know what my gauge is. Next I did the math for how many stitches I needed to fit around a head and worked it all out from there.

I found the cable that I just fell in love with, charted it, then re-charted and then charted again. I didn't use any fancy computer software, just a plain ol' paper and pencil. And you wanna hear something completely crazy? I actually liked the process. It was fun trying to figure out what should cross and where and how and all that stuff!!

When it was all said and done, I have a hat! I'm calling it "Garmisch" because my sister wanted a hat to ski with in Germany. Well Jean often tells us about Garmisch and how much fun she and her family have there! I'm hoping that you like my hat. Now I really need one of these babies for myself considering we are having ourselves a heat wave over here in Michigan. I hear we are supposed to get up to about 8F today! WAAHOO!

13 comments:

jayne said...

Libby, I LOVE it!

I want to make one as soon as you post the pattern.

Love those cables, and I have so many yarn choices to pick from.

I get a lot of visitors to my blog looking for the AP bag. Once you post your hat, you can send an email to Knitting Pattern Central, and she will likely get you linked up fairly quickly.

I think that if you are enjoying the process and you are getting attention on your blog for your designs, you can probably look at adding some paypal downloads later on. I betcha that's how some of those other designers got started.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Jayne,

Thanks for the kudos! The pattern is up. Just click on the pic of DH sporting the hat under the "Free Pattern" section and it should come right up. Let me know if it doesn't.

Libby

jayne said...

I'm ROFL 'cuz I just read your "winter poem" too.

I found the spot to click. I'm not seeing a photo though, just a little box with a question mark on it. When I click on it, my server can't do it. It might be me. Maybe see if anyone else has the same problem.

Having a Knit Fitt said...

Love the hat. I am enjoying seeing you grow and flourish as a designer.
Cate

Suzann said...

What a beautiful hat. I am loving the cable pattern a lot. I think your link is broken. I can see the dreaded red x in Internet Explorer but not Firefox.

Grace said...

i haven't been to Garmisch in almost 37 years but it was lovely as is your hat!!! REally great design

Unknown said...

Sorry about the link. It should be fixed now.

Libby

jayne said...

It's working now 'cuz I just downloaded it. Thanks Libby!

Anonymous said...

Love it, Libby. I do, indeed, love Garmisch. I'll be there again in a few weeks. If I see someone with that hat, I'll say hey for you! lol.

smariek said...

Love your hat, it's a great design for both men & women. Will have to link to your pattern on our Cap Karma blog...

smariek said...

Just looked at the pattern document. What do I need to be able to read the chart & legend?

The chart symbols in the chart look like: mailboxes, pointing finger, flag, sunshine, crosses, and quote marks. The legend is totally different with letters & symbols.

Anonymous said...

Smariek,

The charts were created in Excel using the "knitting symbols by CET" font. I know that its free on the net but I cant remember where I got it from.

Libby

LisaW. said...

crap..i swear i left you a comment the other day. love love love that cabley hat! (and your poem...hah!) great redesign of your blog too!