Pages

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Making A List, Checking it Twice

Anyone who is a knitter knows perfectly well that the Christmas season really starts in July/ August. Then the relatives remember that Christmas is coming around September/ October. And yes, you are expected to complete all 354 items requested.

My sister was the first to actually request something. All she wants is a "mother/ daughter hat set." Now mind you this is not just any mother/ daughter hat set. That would be too easy. She wants one that is cool that she can wear on the ski slopes, and "can it please not be neon green." (That was the color of our house growing up, but that is a story for another time) It also must be personally designed for her and Alana. This would ensure that it is a one of a kind. Please no pom poms on the top... and while I'm at it nothing too offensive....

So here I am thinking while she is talking about something....

mom/daughter hat. check.
no pom poms. check.


I'm thinking maybe some fair isle or intarsia... and then she mentions.... "Libby, no animals... I don't do animals."

no animals... check.

"no geometric shapes"

no shapes..check.

"maybe you could do snowflakes, but they have to be cool looking. Nothing dorky"

maybe snowflakes..

"no scratch the snowflakes, definately no snowflakes"

So now I'm just wanting to play with her a bit..


"Mary, maybe I could make you a neon green hat with some orange dots that resemble snowflakes. On the top I'm thinking of leaving off the pom poms but adding a flying saucer. It would be a one of a kind and the talk of the slopes! Alana would be just darling in it!"

Now she is hystrical... "Libby, are you kidding me..I thought we just covered this..no ...(yadda yadda yadda)"

OK Mary, mommy/ daughter hats it is... coming right up!

3 comments:

junior_goddess said...

Love the alien, Libster!

jayne said...

Yeah...the little green guy is super cute. The thing to do now is...go off to a thrift store and find the tackiest pair of hats ever. Give those to her with a box of chocolates and knit for someone less picky. :0

Bri McS said...

Too funny. That convo you had with your sister is why I show up with unsolicited goodies and take my chances.

If you want to freak her out, save a pic of my lime green sweater and email it to her...;)