Pages

Friday, October 13, 2006

I'm Published


A couple of months ago Elann had a contest. The rules were simple. Create a stylish chemo hat out of their Esprit yarn that covered the back of the neck.

I thought, and thought, and thought some more. By the time that I did all my thinking, there was about 2 weeks to finish figuring out what I was gonna knit, knit it, write the pattern and send it to Elann.com for judging. Well I knit, and knit and knit some more. Wrote up the pattern instructions, sent them in and won the contest!

I would have posted about this sooner. Don't you be looking at me like that cuz I would have... I was pretty excited about getting $100 in yarn money for a hat! Well when I finally sat down to blog about it the next day, the winning pic was taken down. So I decided to wait until today when it was offically published to tell you all about it.

You can find the pattern here. Enjoy!

10 comments:

jayne said...

Woohoo! A new post, and such a good topic for a post. Your hat is ingenious -- it manages to be simple and elegant at the same time. Clever you!

Grace said...

congratulations again Libby, its a beautiful hat and I hope you enjoy(ed) your yarn money to the nth degree!!!

LisaW. said...

great hat and nice pattern! whadja do with your yarn money?

Anonymous said...

Ah, Libster - do you think this totally cool hat would work in another yarn that did not have elastic in it, or is it really just for the springy - sproingy stuff...I do have hair...

T, eyeing that hat with severe fashion-lust!

Unknown said...

T,

I tried the hat on me and while it is snug, its comfortable. You can make the hat out of another yarn that doesn't have elastic incorporated into the yarn but I would suggest to add more stitches. This would be incredibly easy to do. The decreases are based off of multiples of 5. So increase the # of sts by a multiple of 5. When making the strip, just add length to it. It doesnt really matter how long it is as long as you are comfortable with the fit. The back flap can easily be taken off if you so choose. Just dont do the increases on the one side of the strip. Simply knit a long strip.

Just remember that 5 is the magic # to be a multiple of.

I think that the circumferance of the hat is 16". The average adult head is about 20-21". When I normally knit a hat, I short change it about 1-2 inches cuz wool is able to be stretched and if you add a ribbing then that will be even that much more elastic.

If you want to use a different yarn I would suggest to make the circumferance of the hat about 18-19 inches. Follow the same pattern but add about 5, 10, or 15 sts or whatever it is that YOU need to get it to be the fit that you are looking for.

I hope this helps.
Libby

CatBookMom said...

Libby, it is really elegant. The way you've added the band is so clever, and of course I've added this to my long list of WIMs. This deserved to win, and I'm thinking you're going to have lots and lots of fun spending your prize money!

junior_goddess said...

I think this is a great hat-very chic!

Bri McS said...

It's simply my favorite of the winning entries. Congrats, again!

w. said...

hi libby,
i really love your chemo cap! i recently crocheted a slew of them for my grandmother who is undergoing treatment for breast cancer. if i had the skills, that would have been perfect for her! congratulations on the contest :)
-whitney (bri's friend)

Enid said...

OMG OMG!! If I diddn't say it earlier. Let me tell you know Congratulations. I think that was a very pretty design.

YUMYUM yarn money!!!!