Pages

Monday, July 10, 2006

The Philosophers Way


Fair Isle knitting is indeed a daunting task. Normally it is done while knitting in the round. For many it involves stranding the yarn behind your canvas while you are knitting the one color. Then switching the yarns to the next color. If you are among the many that are totally in love with self-inflicted pain (or don't actually know a better way) then you would probably be stranding it. I'm not among this group. Yes my dear friends I'm telling you that there is a better way. A much easier way. The Philosophers Way.


The philosophers way may seem daunting at first but believe me it is a technique well worth learning. It involves knitting with BOTH hands simultaneously. So if you are an English knitter, then you will need to learn Continental and vice versa. The beauty of this is that there is really no need to worry about the tension at which you are stranding it. The reason being is that you are weaving the yarns together on the back of your fabric while you knit. And once you become proficient with the technique, its really quite fast.

I have made one sweater this way and am working on the next. This is a pic of the sleeve. Currently I have both sleeves finished and I'm working on the body.