Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

The Kitty Cardi



I've decided to knit Alana's cardi first because her present needs to be shipped across the country to New Orleans. 

With the yarn already picked out, I just need to make the correct gauge.  The stated gauge of 6 stitches per inch was easily achieved with US4's and I cast on the correct number of stitches.  The pattern instructs you to knit the cardi from the top down and I was on a roll until I got to the underarm at which point you are instructed to switch from stocking stitch to the lace pattern.  I didn't think much of it as I've successfully knit plenty of lacy items.  I just kept on knitting as instructed and 3 rows into the lace pattern I thought it a good idea to count my stitches.  The desired number of stitches is 209 and I managed to acquire over 240.  Oh dear, this is a problem.  I tinked the entire last 3 rows I had just knit and re-knit the lace row.  Having learned from my initial mistake, I counted my stitches after I finished the row.  207.  I ripped it again and re-knit that same row.  Again. 

The lace pattern isn't all that hard. Knit 2 together twice, followed by a yarn over knit one combo which is repeated 3 times, yarn over, and knit 2 together twice.  The stitch count remains constant with 4 stitches being decreased and 4 stitches being increased.  Like I said, the pattern is pretty straight forward and yet I was still unable to knit it correctly.  After the fourth try, I knit that lacy row successfully! 

All in all the cardi is a fast knit and I'm quite pleased with the results.  The only modification I would make would be to add sleeves, which I plan to do for my girls' cardi's provided I have enough yarn.

Revised Christmas Knitting Plan:

My family:

Ray: socks
Karolyn: Kitty Cardi
Sydney: Kitty Cardi

My sisters' family:
Mary (my sister): slippers
Alana (niece): Kitty Cardi = complete
Bryce (nephew): Pembroke Vest = complete
Jacqueline (niece): Clara Dressy = complete

My brother John's family:
Trenton (nephew): Pembroke Vest = complete




No comments: