Pages

Friday, November 16, 2007

Ravelry

Ravelry ~ What is it? I have been asking myself that very same question for quite some time now. Then I received my invite a little bit ago and I'm still trying to figure it out. From what I gather, its a bunch of stuff all rolled into one.

Its a hang out place for knitters and crocheters. Groups galore. Friends of Delores group, Friends of SK group, Lace knitters group. There was even a Battlestar Galactica group! And if you can't find what you want? Well, just make up a your own group.

Its a place to catalogue your stash. Books AND yarn. You can even take a pic of your yarn and then put its picture next to how much of the stuff you have in your stash area. It would be easier if they had the yarns that the different yarn manufactures make and then have a drop down menu of pics and the like. Then you just have to click away. But for now you have to manually enter the data. Have I manually entered the data? Hell no.....I'm still in denial as to the amount of stash I have. Some of the books I have entered as it was just a click and save method.

Its a designers hang out. This is one of my favorite features because I'm a designer. You can see pictures of your design in different yarns AND as variations on a theme!!

Its a project provider. You can get inspired just by looking at all of the millions of pictures of everyone's knitwear. And its not just on skinny model types either. You can see the great design on a skinny body, fat body, long waisted or big boobed body. WONDERFUL!!! Now I can see what the great pattern in the magazine is gonna look like on ME before I cast it on and then am disappointed with the final result.

Again I'm still scratching the surface of the wonderment of Ravelry but so far so good. I'm LibbyKnitKins over there in case you want to know.

5 comments:

Suzann said...

The great black hole of knitterdom. I try to limit my time looking at everyone's projects. I am weak :-)
I like looking at the books people have that I don't. I can get an idea if it might be a book that would work for me. That has killed a lot of hours.
Ravelry needs a time out button. You cruise for so long and you get a big pop up that says GO DO THE LAUNDRY

smariek said...

I don't have enough time to keep up with blog reading, where do I find time to poke around in Ravelry? And when do I knit? I'm always discovering something new about it. I like your idea about the stash photo drop down menu. I only added photos because it's easier to figure out what colors I have in my stash than before when I had no photos.

junior_goddess said...

I'd rather come visit you on your blog.

Grace said...

i love the hat, and hope I can reconstruct it soon, I have some Christmas gifts I still need to make!!!

normanack said...

Surfed over from Ravelry -- great snowflake hat! Thank you for sharing it!