Pages

Friday, August 17, 2007

The Lily Pad

It had occurred to me today that for a knitting blog there sure hasn't been much knitting going on. Well I decided to let you all in on what I have been working on. The Lily Pad.

The Lily Pad, as I have now named it, started life as a gift from the Duck Whisperer. It sat marinating in the stash for me to think of something special, really special, for it to become. Well I came up with a little idea. The idea grew. I bought more yarn to fulfill the idea. And now I'm not so sure.

Have you ever done that? Second guessed yourself? I don't do it often but when I do, Lord have mercy. The idea is a simple one. A top down raglan done in the flickering flames lace pattern. I decided to keep the edging simple with a folded over border. I'm picturing it worn over a white spaghetti strap tank top with a pair of jeans. Even I can't screw this up right? UUUUMMMMMM... don't hold your breath.

I sketched and swatched (please notice K's input, I'm gonna make a knitter out of her yet!) and washed and blocked the swatch. Did you read that? I BLOCKED THE SWATCH! I have never blocked the swatch before. Come to think of it, that may be one of my problems but lets not go there. Of course I only blocked the swatch because its a lace pattern and we all know that lace is much different than plain knitting.

OK you all don't need to point out that this really isn't the Flickering Flames pattern found in Barbara's First Treasury, but it sure is close. Instead of having 2 paired decreases, we have 1 double decrease. And instead of 10 rows, we have 8. OK I made a mistake. Again, we aren't going to mention it.

Then I measured the swatch. I even got out the calipers! I really really wanted this to be good. After all this is a great yarn from a great knitter and wonderful friend. I compensated for the screw up in the swatch pattern and came up with a number. I applied that number to the dimensions that I wanted and started knitting. Well now I have this.
And I'm starting to second guess myself. Is it going to be too big? Is it going to be too small? Are the sleeves going to fit? Did I give enough room for the length of the underarm? Is the front going to look OK with the V-neck? Am I going to have enough yarn? Do I need to make the sleeves short because I'm cutting it close on the yarn? Is it going to be too big? I swear I measured it twice and casted on once, then counted and re-counted the stitches. Please tell me I'm not the only knitter that does this.

Last night at "Knit Night" Toni assured me that it looks like it is going to turn out just fine. I'm gonna trust her instinct and keep on knitting!

7 comments:

junior_goddess said...

I think the Duck Whisperer bought you exactly the right color. I always second guess myself. I don't preplan, where as you draw everything out. That's why you don't doubt yourself often.

It will be pretty. Just don't BOOKKnit it. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think it will be fine as well. If only I had the forethought and patience to graph it all out like you...Bri

smariek said...

Glad to see your resurface, I hope you and the kids are doing well. Look at you designing on graph paper! Wow!

LisaW. said...

gorgeous yarn and wow, great pattern design there you have going! can't wait to see it finished. i bet it will be stunning (and highly wearable!)

Anonymous said...

It looks great so far, the yarn is such a beautiful colour! And no, you are definitely NOT the only knitter who does that. My blog could more aptly be called "The Anal-retentive Knitter", I measure, agonize, chart, graph and calculate. If I wasn't such a perfectionist, I might get more knitting done :)!

Jenny said...

Oooooh, I think it looks great! I can envision it just as you describe - tank top and jeans. No need to worry about the fit... that's the beauty of lace, it'll be very flexible when blocking. Just keep plugging away. I'm sure you'll love the end result.

I ALWAYS overthink this stuff. Every skein that becomes a sweater was three other partial knits first.

Robin said...

I am positively drooling over every aspect of this project...the yarn, that airy pattern, the yarn, the color of the yarn...looks like you're doing a fantastic job, can't wait to see how it turns out!!