Pages

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Eunny's Issue

I got my IWK issue this week. You all know the one. Eunny's highly anticipated issue. Of course I immediately started flipping through the pages looking at the pretty pictures and all of the adverts. Slowly taking in which articles I might want to read and seeing if the knitting industry will give us any hints as to which direction they are taking us in the way of the new release yarns.

As a whole I'm not a big fan of the patterns in the magazines. Sure there is usually one or two items that I would consider knitting up and then actual wear. Because lets face it folks some of the things in these magazines (not just IK but knitting magazines as a whole) fall under the category of "just because you can knit does not mean that this was ever meant to be created let alone worn."

I enjoy the magazines for the articles and the tutorials. I always manage to learn something. A new way to cast on, how to fix mistakes without frogging the last 5 rows, understanding lace, cabling, the importance of swatching. Its limitless really, the amount of knowledge of in the tiny article.

When I got to flipping through Eunny's magazine again, I started to pay closer attention to the patterns. I found several I would consider knitting and Eunny's cardi? Well I just about cast that on the second I saw it. Then I started to read the construction of these garments and be still my beating heart. STEEKS!!!!! Can you even stand it? A magazine has a pattern that incorporates steeks!! I can hardly contain myself so I read on. I found patterns that also included knitting 'round and 'round in circles so there are no seams! There are also flat knitting garments for those not interested in steeks and seamless knitting.

I found the issue to be challenging and it got my creative juices flowing. Furthermore it got me to think about a better way to construct a wearable garment. I'm so glad that there is a magazine out there that is being written for a knitter that is a little bit more advanced and not afraid to publish seamless knitting patterns!

Bravo Eunny for a fantastic magazine!

1 comment:

junior_goddess said...

Oh, you guys are killing me. I don't think it actually hits til next week. Argghh.