Pages

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Results Revealed

Several months ago the question of stashing came up at the chat site. It was started because one of the chatters saw a survey somewhere and we had all agreed that it was very unrealistic. I think that the greatest number of accumulated stash was the ridiculously small amount of 20 balls. This is a sweaters worth people! So this discussion led me to start an informal survey of my own.

First off, I want to thank the 59 people that took the time to take the survey! Of these knitting gurus, no one can quite open up a store. Granted I have no idea who voted and who didn't so I am left with my imagination and I can imagine quite a bit. When I met Bri while I was in Florida, she admitted to having seen stashes larger than some local yarn stores. Of course they were pretty small yarn stores, possibly closet sized, so it probably didn't take much to fill it up. However her DH Charles did comment on this. Now I'm thinking if a guy is gonna take the time to mention that someones stash has more in it than a yarn store, then I'm guessing that it is a pretty small store.

2 people have just started knitting so they don't have a stash. I want to welcome you guys to the wonderful world of knitting and stashing!

The majority of the voters said that they have several 20 gallon tub full (38 people, I was one of them). This does not surprise me. Its quite easy to fill up a a 20 gallon tub especially with all the great yarn sales out there. And every knitter knows that you have to get the quantity right up front because its not going to last forever. In fact when its gone, its gone and thats the end of it.

12 people said they have 1 20 gallon tub full. My theory on this is that that they actually have more than the 1 tub but its in boxes and not in a tub so it doesn't count. OR its sock yarn, which everyone knows by now doesn't count. Of course they could just have the one tub and I'm reading too much into the situation.

The remaining 5 people have a box full. I attribute this to them being new knitters who have recently found the great savings to be had on the internet. I'm quite certain that they will have a sizable yarn stash before too long!

Once again I want to thank everyone for participating in the survey it was great fun! If you have an idea for another survey let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Libby- Re: Small stashes. DH and I went to another LYS in the same area as the previously inventory-challenged one. We found an even smaller selection of yarns, but they had other needlecraft supplies and yarn looked to be an afterthought. Still inventory challenged, IMHO!! XO Bri

smariek said...

Someone once told me that the calories fell out when you crumbled a cookie, so eating them didn't count. Perhaps something similar applies to yarn that is outside of a box, it also doesn't count. lol.