Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

City Knits

When searching for the perfect button, knitters know that JoAnn's or Michael's will just not do the trick. These big box stores are fantastic for a great many things but not for the perfect button which is to be placed on a Fair Isle sweater that has been worked on for the past 2 years. Try explaining this to DH.

Me: Honey? Can you take me to City Knits so I can get some buttons?

DH: Can't you drive?

Me: I can't fit behind the wheel.

DH: Where is City Knits?

Me: Downtown Detroit in the Fisher Building.

DH: Can't you just go to JoAnn's?

This is the point in the conversation that we all just take a very very deep breath and remember that this is the man that you love and adore.

Me: Are you kidding me? You want me to go to JoAnn's for some buttons that were made in a third world country that everyone else on the planet has to put on Maxine's sweater that I have been working on for 2 whole years?

DH:

Me: Never mind, I'll take myself.

DH: No you're not! Its dangerous in Detroit and I don't want you down there by yourself in your condition. Get in the car.

So off to City Knits we go!

City Knits is located in the Fisher Building, which has been recently refurbished. I'd be willing to be it was the cat's meow back in her day. Brass door pulls, marble floors, high painted ceilings, the works. Spared no expense. I'm so glad that she is being restored to her respectible self.

The shop itself is wonderful! Full of great yarny selection and buttons from local artists as well as from artists around the world. The book selection puts other LYS book selections to shame. Not only do they have the trendy books but they also have the stitch dictionaries and the OLD how to books. This totally impressed me!

Of course I couldn't just get the buttons I originally came for. I found the Lorna's Laces sock yarn.



I've never used such wonderful sock yarn before so I thought I would splurge a little. And then they wound it for me as well!!! That was great cuz it meant no sitting on the floor with the skein on my feet, trying to reach past the over extended belly that can't possibly stretch more than it already has, and ball it up.

I'm going to call the resulting socks "Parrot Bay" as they remind me of the vibrant colors of Parrots and I could really go for a drink right about now!



I also got a book!



Where is the picture of the buttons you ask? I forgot to take them. I'm sorry and I'll do better next time!

5 comments:

smariek said...

Aw, what a wonderful man! Can't wait to see the buttons you found. And no harm in being unfocused in your shopping, it just means you've saved him from having to drive you there again. ;-)

Unknown said...

better milk the hell out of that pregnancy schtick! Glad you had fun!

benne said...

HAHAHA! Libby, I can just hear this conversation. I want to see the button! ;-}

Joan said...

Gawd, I love that guy! Where else do you need to go? Think.

I think Lorna's Shepherd Sock is my fave sock yarn. It's not splitty and still soft as can be.
Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I have yet to go to City Knits. Years ago, I used to work across the street from the Fisher Building. I went to the theater all the time, and it was during those years that I met so many of the stars who played there. My doctor also used to be in the Fisher Bldg. The beautiful tile floors, leaded glass and brass hardware were stunning.