Pages

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Kiri Pics

Last Christmas I made Kiri for my MIL. At the time, I couldn't post pics or even talk about it because I was not sure if she read the blog or not and wanted to be on the safe side. Well it is certainly past Christmas and I can safely share the results.


Kiri was a delight to knit. Very simple stitch pattern which translates to "easy to memorize." I did however make some modifications. The first being that I substituted yarn. Instead of using Kid Silk Haze the pattern called for, I used Austermann's Acapella, a lovely mohair acrylic blend. Secondly, I added beads to the edge. This addition really enhanced the shawl by leaps and bounds.



This is the first time that I have actually added beads to a knitted item and what a pain in the arse it was. You have to add all of the required beads to your yarn and then keep sliding them down as you need more yarn. In addition to sliding the beads every 3 yds, you have to make sure you are adding them in the correct spot. I chose to add them at the YOs and I couldn't figure out how to get them to be close to the knitted part and not the hole part. Of course I figured out the trick after the border was all the way done. Am I going to remember how I did it if I make this again? Probably not.

Baby Update

The bundle of joy is expected on July 23, 2007. However we are going to be having a scheduled C-section so the baby will most likely be a week early.

She has been kicking quite a bit today!

Ray and I still have not picked out a name. We do like the names: Audry and Joelle. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Huge Congratulations

CBM deserves a huge congratulations for getting her blog up and running again! Poor thing has been blogless for 504 hours (3 weeks). Glad to have you back!

9 comments:

LisaW. said...

You have no idea the expletive that came out of my mouth when I saw your Kiri! But Dang that's beautiful...and the beads just make it stellar!

But I hafta say....for me...at least in uterus pink...NOT an easy knit..

But i will be starting another one after the Wren is finished!

Wren is a nice name...so is OliveBerthaline :)

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely gorgeous Kiri! The beads were well worth it! I have that yarn in my stash in a rich red, I should knit it instead of yarn shopping :-).

I like both your prospective names, not too common but not so different that the kid will be embarassed.

Unknown said...

Sandra,

Kiri was a fun knit, beads and all. The beads did tend to felt the yarn when I had to keep pushing them further down. I forgot to mention that.

libby

Anonymous said...

Libby,
Your Kiri is maybe the best one I've seen. The beads really make it special even if it was annoying. Everytime I get the beads and the yarn together, a little voice in my brain says, you can have too much of a good thing, to me, and I back away slowly.

A baby name suggestions: Madeline or Morgan. I read your post, saw you and Trish having a great time, and thought Madeline or Morgan. Not sure why. I think Joelle is a sweet name too, tho. Good thing you've got some time to figure this out.

bri

junior_goddess said...

I keep telling you, it's gotta be BetsyFaye Jr. (But if you can't do it, Audrey is nice.)

Kiri is beee-yuu-tiful.

Patty said...

Lovely shawl and the beads make it special.

Anonymous said...

Libs, Kiri is beautiful! The beads are lovely, worth the extra effort.

If you don't go for BetsyFaye Jr., which I can't imagine why not, I like Rachel. Of course, there are probably a million little Rachels running around out there. Audrey is pretty. Don't forget to check out what the initials turn out to be put together. So, I don't recommend Audrey Sara. ;-}

jayne said...

How did I miss this post? That Kiri is pure eye candy. Love the colour and love the beads. What a lovely piece of knitting.

Good names. If Colin had been a girl, I would have named him Natalie.

Enid said...

I'm late to this post. But I'm so happy to see that everything is going well with the baby. my husband and I had a long list of girl names, but the boy list was very short. We didn't have a name for him up until the time he was born. heh.