Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Big Grandma

As a little girl growing up the only way my siblings and I were able to not confuse our grandmas were to refer to them as "Big Grandma" and "Little Grandma." Little Grandma was my mom's mom, and the shorter of the two. Big Grandma was my dad's mom and the taller grandma, 5'2".



Every Sunday after church, we would go to big grandma's house and have breakfast. This picture of her on her wedding day was always in the same spot. On the far right corner of the china cabinet. A china cabinet that little girls were not allowed to touch. I remember this being my all time favorite picture of my grandma. Just the way my grandpa looked at her is priceless. It says that he is the luckiest guy in the world!



Breakfast was always the same. Dad's famous eggs, bacon, and grease toast. Dad would dice up and fry some onion and potato, then scramble in the eggs. Grandma's job was to cook the bacon. To ensure that nothing went to waste, Auntie Marilyn would dip white bread in the bacon grease, sprinkle sugar over the top and serve it up!



After the dishes were hand washed and put away, we would open up the record player, put on our favorite story, Jack and the Beanstalk, and listen while Grandma flipped the pages in the book.



We laughed at the funny parts and huddled together when the Giant kidnapped the Magic Harp from Happy Valley. We cringed when Jack eased his way down the rope into the Giants' pocket to free the Harp, praying he would not get caught. We then rejoiced when the Harp was returned the fine citizens of Happy Valley and life returned to normal.




After the story was finished, we would put on our coats and drive back home.

My dad called yesterday to let me know that Grandma died. I called my aunt asking when the funural was and she was not certain but thinks it will be next weekend. She could not give specific details as she did not know them herself. As of now, we are planning on going to Idaho for the service.

Thanks for all of the wonderful times and memories. Thanks for being a great Grandma.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Libby, I'm so sorry. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman and grandmother and your love for her comes through in your writing and pictures.

Your grandfather's look - so tender, I can't put it into words but I won't forget it. That photo is a treasure.

You and your family will be in my prayers.

XXOO

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lib, I am so sorry to hear this.

The look I see on your Grandpa's face is "I won the lottery!" What a sweet photo!

It was nice to see photos of her at all the momentous occaisions. She's gone, but she didn't go far. I know that you carry a piece of her inside you, and you will pass on "Big Grandma-isms" to Karolyn and BetsyFaye Jr. in little ways. They may not even realize where those things come from, but they are part of the fabric that is you.

XO
B

Joan said...

I am so sorry Libby. I desperately miss both of my grandmothers. They were my favorite people in the world, bar none. It's so wonderful that she always knew how much you appreciated her, you can see the pride and delight on her face.

Joan said...

BTW that wedding photo is AMAZING!

Jennifer said...

What wonderful memories you will have. It's been years since my mom's mother passed away, my mamaw--but its not a day that doesn't go by that I remember her. She taught me many things--all things that I will treasure forever. My prayers are with you and your family.

LisaW. said...

what a lovely tribute to a lovely woman. she was obviously "so darn proud" of you..you can see it in your graduation picture. her wedding picture is beautiful and an inspiration to all couples. thank you for sharing your memories of her with us. may those same memories give you and your family comfort as you adjust to life without her physical presence.

Grace said...

I am so sorry for your loss Libby, you will be in my thoughts and prayers Safe trip to Idaho!

CatBookMom said...

Libby, you have written and illustrated a lovely and loving tribute to your grandmother. Your grandfather's face in the wedding day photo shows joy, love and tenderness. As Benne wrote, I will remember that picture for a long time.

You and she shared a lot of love, a lot of fun, and you are most privileged to have so many wonderful memories. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

I's so sorry to hear about your grandma, Libby. She was a beautiful woman. Your photo tribute was very touching, and I especially enjoyed the wedding picture. I think you resemble her. Thank you for sharing a part of her with us.

Anonymous said...

Oh Libs, What hard news. I look at all the pictures, especially that wedding photo, and read your words what wonderful memories you have to pass along through the girls. I'm so sorry. XO- Bri

jayne said...

Looks and sounds like a life well lived. What precious times, Libby. Thank you for sharing her with us. I am sorry you have to say goodbye to her. Safe trip.

smariek said...

Libby, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories of her. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Oh btw, I really love that wedding picture.

Suzann said...

Libby I am so sorry about your grandmother. You did such a beautiful job sharing her with us. She sounds like a wonderful woman. I love the wedding picture. It goes right to the heart