Pages

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year Resolutions

New Year Resolutions. We all have them. Usually they consist of loosing weight, taking a trip or doing some sort of home improvement.

Well I'm getting tired of the usual resolutions that usually loose steam about mid February. So this year I'm gonna try something different.

There has been alot of talk about going on a yarn diet and there are all sorts of rules involved. Rules that dictate which yarns are calorie free, meaning you can get as much of that as you want to. And which yarns are strictly forbidden. And how many yards you should knit in a day. The list is endless and everyone has their own variation.

So here is what I'm going to do. Now the point here is to use up what I have and not add to the stash.



1) Count the yardage on the ball bands from last year. The total was a staggering 4913 yds. Now those are some smoking needles!

Saving ball bands is an easy way to keep track of how much you have knitted. When you are finished with the yarn, take the ball band and put it in the "gift with purchase" bag that you get at the make-up counter.

2) Promise to knit at least 80% of what was knitted last year.

90% = 4422 yds
80% = 3930 yds
70% = 3439 yds
60% = 2947 yds
50% = 2456 yds

I'm going with 80% because I'm gonna have another baby which will most definately cut into knitting time.

3) Yarn purchased counts against me.

So lets say that I knitted 1000 yds and then bought 500 yds of yarn. Then I have to subtract the yarn bought from the yarn knitted to end up with the re-tallied yarn knitted. SO 1000 - 500 = 500 yds knitted. I'm glad that you are following me here!

4) Have a really really good prize. This way I'll want WANT to stay with the program.

I was going to go to a knitting retreat as my reward for being good but I dont know how fesable that will be with a new baby. So I'm gonna have to think of something different. Any suggestions?

Now of course ANY yarn that leaves the stash counts, so if you happen to donate/ get rid of yarn, you can add that yardage.

1 comment:

smariek said...

I like your idea of saving the ball bands! I save some (to remember what color I used), lose some, or throw some away. I'll have to try saving them all in 2007.

I like those "gift with purchase" bags to keep my loose knitting items together (scissors, measuring tape, needle, crochet hook, etc). Aren't those bags handy?