Pages

Thursday, September 14, 2006

TGIF

Its over. Its finally over. I keep telling myself that. The week that is. I really didn't think that it would never end and next week is worse. Honestly, but more about that later.

Around July at my daughters 18 month well baby visit the doctor was concerned about her not talking. Sure she talks but not as advanced as other kids her age. I think that she says about 10 words and those are hard to distinguish. Sure I know what she is saying cuz I'm the mom and all but others? Well that is gonna take some getting used to.

The Dr. said that there wasnt anything that we could do about it at that time and to come back in 3 months. We did and he said to go to the Ear Nose and Throat Dr. He ran some tests, said she has "diminished hearing" and recommended for Karolyn to have tubes because of the number of ear infections during the summer. Apparently the winter is worse. Is that even possible? The surgery is scheduled for this Thursday. I'm scared to death.

We also saw the Speach Pathologist. She agreed that K has diminished hearing and said that she is about 3-5 months behind other kids her age. I told her about the upcoming surgery and she thinks that while Karolyn can in fact hear, to her it sounds like her head is under water. I just want her to talk. I keep thinking "Please talk, Please talk, Please talk"

Dinner is always tough cuz she is a picky eater. On the menu tonight was chicken and cooked carrots. She fed the dog all of her carrots and then ate the chicken.

Then she said "Nana" She was asking for a banana, I gave it to her and thanked God.

Wednesday was homework night. We colored and put the stuff she did at day care on the frig! Thursday was Purple Day at day care. We wore puple.

Next Wednesday I have to talk my way out of jury duty so I can take Karolyn for her surgery on Thursday and then we can recover on Friday.


So tonight I'm having a drink!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Libby - my cousin's daughter was in a similar situation as Karolyn. She had an older brother and it was thought that he did all of the talking for her so she got lazy. Apparently it was the ear-tube thing and afterward she got the tubes, the speech came very, very quickly and you couldn't shut this very articulate little girl up!
Good luck - breath in, breath out!
Les

CatBookMom said...

I send positive thoughts for a quick recovery from the surgery and a great increase in her world of sounds and speech.

Anonymous said...

Libby she will be just fine. My son had tubes as did my granddaughter.You have every right to be afraid and worried in fact it is your job.lol. You will both be in my prayers.

junior_goddess said...

Well, happily all the experienced parents posted before I did. It's absolutely natural for you to be nervous...let's hope the tubes make a significant difference!

Just call if you get wobbly!

Anonymous said...

Libby, my son didn't speak with sentences until for what seemed like the longest time. Doctors told me not to be concerned until age 2. Then, Tarzan had his hearing tested, and also saw an ear, nose, throat doc. Due to his history of ear infections, tubes were an option, but then the infections cleared. Now, at 3 1/2, he won't shut up. I have heard case after case, though, where once the tubes were inserted, the kids became chatterboxes. Hang in there - we'll all be thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Libby
If you are feeling uneasy...and of course you are, take a friend with you to the hospital to assist with the "waiting" while K is in the OR.
Makes a big difference than sitting there alone or with a Daddy who has it all under control and makes you look like you're a basket case.
As all our other Elann friends have said....She will be just fine!
Ev

jayne said...

I'm coming to this a bit late, Lib, but I'm feeling for you. Both my kids had endless ear infections and came right up to the threshold of needing tubes. I wanted them, in fact, because their hearing was affected at the time. Then it cleared up on its own. Of course you're scared. That's the hard part of parenting, and it feels like getting hit by a two by four. The tubes sound gross, but K is going to feel a lot better when her ears are clear. One day you'll wish you could turn off the little chatterbox. :) My son used to say it sounded like he had a dishwasher going in his ears.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Libby, I'm sorry little Karolyn is having the ear problems. I've several little kids like Karolyn who had to have the tubes and it really helped them. I know you must be on pins and needles though. How could you not be scared? It's your job as mama. I'll keep your little family in my prayers.

Bri McS said...

Libby- Same thing with my younger sister. Once the tubes went in, the words came very soon after that! I know you're worried, so you'll be deep in my thoughts. Bri

Anonymous said...

Libby,
My best friend's son had the same thing, but she didn't figure it out until he was about 4 so I am so glad you caught it early.Her older sons had speech problems that later corrected, so she didn't think much of it with child three. Like Les said, all good ---- the catching up is quick.