Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Our New Home!

426 McKinley Avenue, Grosse Pointe Farms MI


I'm so incredibly excited to tell you that my family is moving!  Ray and I have been wanting to move for over a year and we finally found the home that will work for our family.  Currently we live in a 1000 square foot, 2 bedroom 1950's ranch home.  And while we love our home, to which we have made improvements, the house is just getting to be a bit too small.  One night over a glass of wine, make that several glasses of wine, the conversation turned to increasing our living space.  And with the interest rates as low as they are, we started looking. 

We had certain criteria that had to be met.  A better school system for the girls, bigger house, 15 yr fixed mortgage, a pretty home, stuff like that.  The search was on for the better part of a 9 months. We started looking online and then started going to the open houses on Sundays.  Eventually we discovered what worked for us and what didn't.  The floor plans that we gravitated toward and the exterior that the both of us just loved.  Finally after much negotiation we found the perfect home for our family. 

A Tudor style home that was built in 1929 with tons of character.  Hard wood floors, decorative plaster, stained glass windows.  Need I say more?  To be honest I'm in love with the place.  Don't get me wrong.  There is plenty of work that needs to be done.  Fixing leeks, repainting, plasterwork,  a new upstairs bathroom, new carpet, just to name a few.  But like I said, I'm in love.  Ray and I both committed to the place and put the down payment the second we could.  We officially sign the final papers on Wednesday.  Which leads me to my dilemma.

Moving Day.  I'm a knitter as you well know.  And being a knitter for the better part of 12 years, I have acquired and considerable stash.  OH it didn't grow over night, but rather a couple of skeins here and there.  Kind of like weight.  The extra cookie that didn't get burned off, equates to a bit extra on the hips and before you know it you have an entire back porch.  Kind of like that. 

I started counting the totes that contained the stash.  Now let me be the first to explain that the totes contain about 20 gallons of yarn each and I counted about 9 totes.  And the stuff not in a tote could fill about another 2 totes.  GOOD LORD AND BABY JESUS 11 totes 20 gallons each?  Oh dear God I'm sooooo going to Hell for gluttony of the yarn.  Is that even a sin?  Regardless, I can't let Ray know about the 12 totes of yarn.  My God, I'll never see the inside of a yarn shoppe again. 

So what's a girl to do?  Devise a plan of course.  I'm just gonna move a bit over to the new house piece by piece.  I thought about sneaking it over but then someone at work said "Don't sneak Libby Grant, just lie about it. Deny it all together."  Very wise choice.  Very wise choise indeed.  Denial is the best choice given the circumstances. Not to worry, I'll be keeping you abreast of the moving situation!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Haha you are too funny! My last move was international, packed up in two days - no hiding anything there. Husband is full aware of the extent of my yarn and fabric stash, and this is after considerable purgeing of "what was I thinking?" supplies. Good luck with the covert operation and congratulations on your new home!