Pages

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Knitted Breasts

When I was at “The Spa” I was knitting on several items. One of the items I was knitting was for a special friend whom I have never met. I only know this person from an online chat site yet I still consider her a friend. This friend has gone through hell and back to say the least and in the process had some body parts removed. Well friends just don’t let friends go without body parts, so I pulled out my needles and went to town.

I was determined to knit some boobs. I’m talented and can figure this out but why should I when someone else already did all the hard work for me. The pattern instructs you to knit up 2 boobs and then sew them together. Being the extremely busy person that I am, I want the most effient way to do things. Well, why would one knit two of the same thing and then sew them together?

Wouldn’t it be more efficient to just knit the body part in the round to the dimensions that you want.


Purl a round to be used as a turning ridge.


And then continue on the back side with decreases? I thought so.


The pattern also calls for a DK weight yarn of which I didn’t have that was soft enough for this endeavor. I did have some Lorna’s Laces sock yarn that I just LOVE. The problem is that it doesn’t mach the specified gauge. I’ll just adjust for that as well.

I started out just like the pattern dictates.

CO 3 sts and work an i-cord for about 1.5 inches. Work one more row of I-Cord, increasing as follows: kfb in each st. 6 sts.
Divide sts between 3 double-point needles, in preparation to begin working in the round. Place marker in first stitch.
Next Round: [K to last st on needle, m1, k1] around. 3 sts increased.
Repeat this round 19[21, 25, 27, 29] times more. 66[72, 84, 90, 96] sts (22[24, 28, 30, 32] sts on each needle).
P 2 rounds. BO all sts.

Because I was using sock yarn which is smaller than DK wt yarn, I repeated the round until I had 44 stitches on each needle.

Then instead of binding off, I:

1) purl 1 round.

2) Knit 3 rounds.

3) K3, K2tog around (any remaining stitches are knitted)

4) K 4 rounds

5) Repeat 3 and 4, 3 times

6) K2, K2tog (any remaining stitches are knitted)

7) K 1 round

8) repeat 6 and 7

9) K1, K2tog (any remaining stitches are knitted)

10)K1,K2tog (any remaining stitches are knitted)

Draw yarn through the remaining stitches.

I also made a little pocket for adding weights or special mementos. The breasts were then stuffed with polyfil and I left them open so they are adjustable if needed.


The finished product! I'm hoping that she likes them. (Keep your fingers crossed for me)

1 comment:

smariek said...

Very nice boobs! Thanks for the modifications for fingerling weight yarn.