Pages

Friday, July 13, 2007

Crocheted Steeks

I have been doing steeks by using my sewing machine for awhile now. Its very simple and easy. Fast and convenient. However its also very messy. The results are just not as professional as I would have liked the finished product to be.
One day while reading the Zimmermaniacs blog someone posted about their crocheted steeks. Shortly thereafter Jared did the same thing. I was sold.

Both people said that Eunny had an excellent tutorial on how to perform the technique and they couldn't have been more correct!

I found a crochet hook a size smaller than my needle as suggested and started putting in my single crochets in the exact spot that I wanted to cut my cardigan.



I crocheted down the one side and then up the other. This was quite time consuming but I was assured that this is a much cleaner and neater method than the sewing machine. Besides I already started so I might as well finish it and see how it turns out.

Now its time for the cutting. Due to the fact that I can't have an adult beverage, ice cream was involved. Alot of ice cream. Breyers to be exact. One must have a steady hand and be on a sugar high for this surgical operation about to take place.



Holy God it worked!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. Perfect little stitches that had been stitched together and then cut and are not going anywhere!



Everything is clean and neat and the blue crocheted steeks blend in with the rest of the sweater.

The only thing left to do is to hand sew in the sleeves, time consuming but the results are worth it, add the neck and button bands, and tack down the insides where the sweater was steeked.

6 comments:

junior_goddess said...

Dang, Libs, you sure have big conjones for a pregnant chick! ;-)

Thanks, this helps me SEE this better.

Christine said...

Wow, Libby! I am so impressed by your ability to take scissors to your beautiful knits. I get the shakes just thinking about it. And without alcohol? Amazing!

benne said...

Libs, you really did a great job explaining steeks. I really think I can do this now that I see what you did. Thanks, kiddo, I feel brave now too. ;-}

Anonymous said...

I saw your sweater on Elann and just wanted to say that I think it looks great! Excellent job.

m said...

that is breathtakingly gorgeous!
I am in the process of trying out some steeking and wanted instructions and maybe a bit of proof that it wouldn't totally destroy my lovely project.
I have a bit of renewed faith, looking at your lovely cardigan!
thanks....

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link