Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Ideas

Have you ever had a good idea? OK let me rephrase that. Have you ever had an idea that you thought was good? I get them all the time and then I have to admit later that most of them are brain farts.

It all started when I wanted to knit something really really special with my Christmas yarn from a fairy yarnmomma. Something that I would not only enjoy knitting but wear as well. And wear often. Something that I could put on my shoulders as I sat in my adirondack chair on the front porch and knit during the summer. So this made me think of a shawl. The problem is, I'm not really a shawl kind of girl. But I do like stoles. Alot. I think its the triangular shape of the shawl that I'm not all that crazy about. But the rectangle shape? I'm soooo there.

So I go and consult Barbara and found the fir cone pattern. Wanting to keep my options open, I went through all of the books but kept coming back to fir cone.



I charted out the pattern, re-arranged the stitches so I could get the yarn overs to fall in just the right spot. Counted the # of stitches that needs to be casted on and then re-counted them. I figured out how the stole can be knitted in the round and then have a seam in the middle of it. This would allow for the edging to be just perfect and I would not have to add on a knitted edge. I'm feeling pretty good about myself right about now. All this figuring and such, I'm thinking I'm on to something.

Then self says "Libby I really think you should knit a prototype."

Libby: "What? a prototype? I never knit prototypes."

Self: "Yes, but this is some pretty special yarn and we don't really have extra for your messups"

Libby: "Fine, I'll humor you. I'll prototype it in some Elann.com baby cashmere."


And its a good thing I did too. Please don't tell self or I'll never hear the end of it. The stitch count was right on, as was the general plan of it. The problem you ask? Well its not exactly a rectangle. Its more like an elongated square.


I know what I did wrong and if I want a rectangle out of it then I'll have to cast on more stitches for the middle section. So back to the drawing board. I measured the rectangle thing and figured that 8 repeats is about 17 inches. So I'll add 8 or 9 repeats to the middle section which calculates to about 163 - 193 stitch cast on (depending on how many repeats I decide on).

This morning when I showed Ray my latest creation he asked "Is that a baby blanket?"

"Well yes, thats what it is!" (Thats my story and I'm sticking to it)

The baby will have a personalized, made just for her blanket from baby alpaca/cashmere!

11 comments:

Grace said...

so pretty and a gorgeous baby blanket at that wink wink

LisaW. said...

beautiful work, great pattern...such a clever libster you are! and ....heckuva good story :)

Having a Knit Fitt said...

That baby is going to look really spiffy.
Cate

Anonymous said...

And it's beautiful!

Bets

CatBookMom said...

Pretty, pretty! We'll all stay tuned for the revisions and cheer you on.

Anonymous said...

That "blanket" is gorgeous! What a lucky baby.

smariek said...

Beautiful. If the stole is too small for you, I'm sure BF will love snuggling in it.

Anonymous said...

Libby, you're a marvel! Beautiful "baby blanket" and a great plan. Yeah, that's right, it's a baby blanket, of course, I planned it that way. ;-} Lovely knitting and color for a special baby, BetsyFaye Jr.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Not only will the baby be glammed up, but surely will be demanding cashmere bibs, towels, etc. into adulthood!! bri

Connie said...

Hi Libby,
Love this lace work, very nice! I saw you on the Elann.com message board and just wanted to stop by and say hello!

jayne said...

You have a good sense of humour and imagination to boot.