Pages

Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Border ~ Part 1

Since we have last discussed the baby blanket, I had managed to knit up a tube and then cut it open. Exhilarating fun that was!

Now its time to add the first border. I got a great idea from the Mason-Dixon gals' book. Inside it describes a blanket made out of garter stitch squares and bordered with the flying geese pattern. The results are just spectacular. So I decided to copy them and use this as the first border for the blankie.

Essentially you are knitting 3 triangles: 1 big one and 2 small ones. This will form a rectangle. Then you repeat the process until the cows come home.

The first step is to knit 15 stitches.



Then knit across the the row to the last 2 stitches and then knit 2 together.



Repeat this row until you have 3 stitches remaining. Pass 2 stitches to the right hand needle, knit 1 the pass the 2 slipped stitches over. Bind Off.




Next pick up 11 stitches along one edge of the triangle and repeat the same process of decreasing one stitch every row.





Repeat the process for the other side of the first triangle. Congratulations, you have completed your first flying geese rectangle!



Now we just make like the Energizer bunny and keep going and going and going, until you have a strip long enough for one side of the border.



I ended up needing 13 rectangles. As awesome of a border as this is, it does have its drawbacks.



See all these ends? I would definitely consider this to be a drawback as they all need to be woven in.

I'm gonna need 4 border strips so I'll be making the triangles for awhile. I'm sure the result will be quite worth all the efforts.

4 comments:

jayne said...

Hi Libby, you've had a lot going on. I like the pix of Aaron's homecoming. How wonderful for his family, small and big.

Mmmm...diving...I did a wee dive once in Maui. What a different world.

Thanks for the triangle tutorial. I would not have guessed that's how it was done. I was thinking intarsia (which I've never done). Is that what you would call modular knitting? (haven't done that either. That's going to be one very special blankie.

junior_goddess said...

Lib-
Why are you cutting the blues? Can you work off of two balls and leave them in a ziplock??? Haven't quite figured out what to do about the green yet-you could ALMOST carry it under the pick up....?

That blankie is gonna be SOOOO awesome!

Joan said...

Lib, I love that border! Reminds me fondly of my old quilting days. I love your project!

Anonymous said...

Bets,

I tried that with the blues and it works for the one side however it does not work for the other side as it ends on the wrong side. I would be picking up on the wrong side of the fabric and I cant be doing that.

The weaving goes fast as I can weave 2 and 3 ends in at once.

Libby