Pages

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas Questions

Warning: The sergeon general has deamed this post to be blasphemous and quite possibly unaccaptable for Good Christian Eyes. Read at your own risk


I have a question that has actually been on my mind for quite some time now. Coming from a very religious Catholic family and have completely lost the faith, I can't really ask them. Basically cuz they will tell me that I'm going to hell (which has completely lost its effect now, being told that on a regular basis) and then light the candles to pray for my damned soul. I figure since I'm already doomed I may as well enjoy it right? So asked my mom to pray that Satan sits me next to Mr. Daniels and The Captain.

Now on to the question. You all know that song "Do You Hear What I Hear?" Of course you do, EVERYONE knows this song. Well there is a part in the song that goes....

A child, A child shivers in the cold
Let us bring him silver and gold
let us bring him silver and gold


This is the part I have issues with. First off, if anyone brought my shivering baby silver and gold I'd be pretty upset. A blanket people! The kid is freezing over here. Don't you people have any common sence?

Which brings me to my next question. It is widly known that there were shephards watching their flock by night. Even the Bible says it so I'm not making that part up. But generally shephards watch sheep right? And sheep produce wool right? I'm pretty sure that they knew how to spin wool cuz the Egyptians spun wool and I think that it was common knowledge by that time. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this but I'm just saying that they did have the means to whip up a baby blanket.

So I'm wondering what everyone elses take is on this. Or am I just thinking too much again? I've been accused of that you know and its OK to tell me. I wont take it personal!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Libs, and I say this in the most loving way, you ARE overthinking it. ;-} First of all, the person that wrote the words to that song was mainly interested in finding words to rhyme with gold since gold was one of the gifts mentioned in the Bible. And with gold, you can BUY a blanket. ;-}
The shepherds did bring a sheep I think. And I seriously doubt Baby Jesus wasn't wrapped up warmly 'cause I figure Mary was a pretty good mother. And I don't think the angel told them to bring a blanket. ;-}
As to the state of your soul, hey, that's between you and God, no one else. Not even YOUR mother. :-}

Anonymous said...

Thanks Benne! Everyone else said that as well. I figured that the words went well with the song and as a friend pointed out this morning Gold is a gift for a King. I completely didnt think of that. And Jesus being a King and all, well NOW I get it!

Suzann said...

Libbykins, love, the vision that God should be treated as an earthly king would be treated, comes from the spread of Christianity to Germanic tribes. In Jewish tradition, people did not kneel in the presence of God. As Christianity spread outside the middle east the thinking went. If I kneel before King Joe, should I not kneel before God? If King Joe has the biggest building, should God's house (church) big even bigger?
After Vatican II people stopped kneeling during mass. This was an effort to revert back to the roots of Christianity.
In the Bible the gifts given to the Christ child are to symbolize his future and his divinity. Remember the new testament was written for non Jews. The gold symbolizes an earthly king. The Frankincense and Myrrh were expensive ointments that were also used to anoint the dead. They seem to be very impractical presents to new parents. Unless they could flogged them off on ebay for some real money.
The Book of Matthew is trying to connect the birth of Jesus with the historical kings of Israel. As a descendant of David, Jesus got three kings or wise men to attend his birth. And to show just what a rotter King Herod was.
I would take the whole thing with a grain of salt.
Mary and Joseph were poor, their baby was poor and I doubt the birth was noticed by anyone. No angels no shepherds and no wise men. Just like millions of the poor today. Born into a life of poverty without any notice from the rest of the world. And that in my opinion is the magic of Jesus. That the least of men, changed the world. Not the kings not the princes and not the silly songs :-)
The the state of your soul is between you and the big guy. But I think he is a lot more generous then most people and certainly most churches.

junior_goddess said...

No honey, they couldn't manage blankets. They were men.

There ya have it.

jayne said...

I was going to be flippant, Libs, but then I saw that everyone else was taking this seriously. So...I'll be flippant. :)

Flippant: is that the worst you can come up with?? :) I don't think they let people into hell for asking questions like that.

Not so flippant: I think men invented knitting. But I've heard conflicting reports on which men and where.

Really not flippant: I don't think there is such a place as hell, honey. Not the burning/tormenting kind we grew up with at least. I've done a lot of research, both biblial and historical, and hell seems to be a human invention. We can blame Plato for starting that urban legend. It may very well be that it is well with your soul.

Keep asking tons of questions.

CatBookMom said...

Libby, others have written far more clearly and from Biblical knowledge than I have. Somewhere it says that faith isn't based on what you can see, so I've always thought that most of religion of any sort is irrational.

On another note, which you can blame on Junior Goddess, you're tagged for a meme. See my blog.